Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The loggers wife...

Ok so here's me trying to make a really long story really short. 

Bare with me. 

Our oldest son was born 11/19/13 bless his heart. I returned to work on the 2nd of the year and all was well in the money world. May of 2014 we found out we were expecting AGAIN. Holy babies, batman! I worked my entire pregnancy and all was still well. The plan, after much discussion, was for me to stay home with the kids, and my husband get a new job and be our sole income. I was due January 19th 2015 and the day was fast approaching. I resigned from my job on the 31st of December to spend some quality time with my oldest son. Little did I know; I went into labor the morning of the 3rd of January. My husband STILL HADNT FOUND A JOB! We had a few offers, but none made up comfortably for the money we would lose by me not working. We were out of corners to cut, too!! 
My husband had a friend that offered him a job as a truck driver at a logging company. Lots of hours, but it made up and then some for the money we were losing. So he took it. 
Our marriage started to go south fast. Never seeing each other, still just scraping by financially, and both of us just worn out with life basics in general. 

My husband just accepted a new job for a larger trucking company in the area. Less over all money, but more stability and more time at home. 

So here are my tips as a young stay at home mom for how we do it. 

1) this is my own idea. The rule of the 1s and 5s. Every day my husband has so much change in his pocket. And I hate using change or cash. So every day when he gets home all the change goes in a bucket. Along with all 1s and single 5s (meaning there was only one $5 bill in the cash) I think it's better than a saving account because when I am out and "need" something I can't just transfer the money. 
2) all milk and juice cups STAY IN THE FRIDGE!! If it can go bad, it will. That makes a stinky mess, and it also means I am throwing once good milk or juice down the sink. Frustrating. So the cups don't even leave the kitchen. When he eats out of his chair, the cup goes in the fridge. 
3) turning off all the lights/fans/the/nigh lights etc when the room is empty. Pretty simple, but a hard habit to create. 
4) we buy generic. A lot. 2 things we don't buy generic are ranch dressing and Oreos when we have them. Just can't beat hidden valley! 
5) I write out my meal plan for the month. I also shop discount stores and sales to match. Helps a ton. Plus less and shorter grocery shopping trips. 
6) snack for the boy in small portions. Instead of a big handful of animal crackers, I do 3 or 4 on his tray. He rarely finishes everything he eats and for some reason it just doesn't feel right to put something back in the package. So if he wants more I give him a few more. And go from there. I used to throw a ton of crackers away. 

Will post more soon 



With love 💜🌷

No comments:

Post a Comment